Our Adoption Journey

Hello friends and family! Thank you so much for visiting our blog. Doug and I thought this would be a great way for loved ones to keep up with where we are in the domestic adoption process and follow us along on our incredible journey. This will be a great way for us to keep everyone up to speed so to speak and also express feelings, thoughts, concerns, etc. (Those of you who know me personally know that I'm not always the best at following through on stuff like this :) but I'm going to try REALLY hard to update things regularly!) We also want everyone to feel free to post comments on here. We are hoping that someday we can turn this blog into a "Life Book" for our child so that they may read and know the story that brought them to us.

We are so excited to see what God has in store for us on this journey. We cannot wait for the day that he blesses us with a child we can love, treasure, and raise up to be a child of God and spread his good news. We also can't wait for our child to meet each and every one of you and be a blessing in his or her life the way you've been in ours. Like I said, please feel free to post comments or ask questions. As most of you know, Doug and I are both open books :) We are more than happy to share anything with you if you have questions.


Adoption is such a wonderful thing and if it weren't for our "trials" we would not be able to enjoy this beautiful blessing that God is giving us. We have no doubt that God has a plan for us and that he has a child for us to love. (Psalm 139:13-16) Please continue to pray for us as we prepare ourselves to be parents. Please pray that we can continue to grow in our relationship with the Lord and in our relationship with each other. We love each and every one of you and look forward to sharing this blog with you.
With Love,

Doug and Andrea

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Beginning

March 13, 2011

I started this blog a little late, but to keep you up to date, we have already submitted our preliminary and formal applications to Bethany Christian Services.  We chose Bethany for a few reasons: 
-The first being simply that they were the first adoption agency that came up when I googled/yahooed agencies.  Their website was very easy to follow and almost anything you wanted to know about them was easily accessible on the site. 
-The second reason being that I liked that it was a Christian agency.  I know you can't go by first impressions alone, but they really seemed to be Christ centered and seemed to have a strong ministry going. 
-The third reason was that after inquiring about adoption, we immediately received information via mail and e-mail.  All the steps we would be taking through the next months were clearly explained and laid out for us.
Although we are early in the process, I have to say that so far, I do not regret our decision in choosing Bethany.  They have been extremely helpful and friendly.  Though it has at times, seemed like a chore, the training classes they require are wonderful.  They have helped us immensely in preparing our hearts and minds for becoming adoptive parents.  They may not be the cheapest agency but seem to have the best of intentions for the child and the birthmother as well.  If anything, adoptive parents are the last priority at Bethany which may sound weird, but I think is great.  After all, the child and what is best for that child is the most important, whether that be staying with his/her birthparents, or joining our family.  "Bethany doesn't find babies for families; they find families for babies." 
   The first Tuesday in February, we began our training sessions to help us prepare to become adoptive parents.  It has been a wonderful experience hearing adoptive parents stories, being with other couples who are adopting, learning ways to deal with any circumstances we may face with our child, and learning ways we can minister about adoption and how great it is.  We've also been required to read at least three books on Adoption.  One book, "The Connected Child" is required and has been part of our training.  It came to me while I was reading this book that I wish every parent, whether biological or adoptive, could read this book.  It has so many parenting tips/ideas/philosophies that I think are great for any parent and child.  Anyway, training will go through the end of March so we're over halfway done. 
   Along with our training during that past couple of months, we have also been tackling the task of paperwork.  I thought there was a lot of paperwork when we bought our house, but that was nothing!  Again, I sometimes feel like all parents should be required to fill out some of this stuff before they have kids :)  We've had physicals, drug testing, psychiatric evaluations, marriage evaluations, along with discussions about our infertility, criminal background checks, credit checks, family history, self-studies, and not to mention I (we) had to take two vacation days to be able to get some of this stuff done.  BUT, whenever we feel overwhelmed and like this is all pointless, we remind each other why we're doing all this.  And of course that's for our child.  Anything that can help us be better parents and better spouses is well worth it. 
  And it's been amazing how much God (and the devil for that matter) has been working with Doug and I.  I can't lie and say that everything has been peachy since we found out we were infertile because it certainly hasn't.  We have had some very intense fights, some very emotionally draining discussions, and many temptations to give up.  But of course, our time of trials has only brought us closer to Him, closer to each other, and closer to our friends and family.  It has made me see what a gracious heavenly Father I have, what a wonderful earthly father and mother I have, and what a loving and committed father Doug will be, AND how blessed I am to have all of them.
  So now, we are waiting to hear back from all of our doctors, finishing our paperwork, finishing the last few trainings, and then once all that is complete we will do that last part of our home study which will be a home visit.  I'm thinking by June (hopefully earlier) we will have all of that done and officially beginning the waiting process.  Lots of waiting but no doubt that what we receive in the end will be WELL worth the wait :) 
  **Also, we are trying to think of ways to raise money.  If anyone has any suggestions, we would love to hear them!  Every little bit helps, so we're open to anything! **

5 comments:

  1. Well, thanks for making a big, old, bald guy cry like a 2 yr old. Lol. Seriously though, Julia and I have been so blessed by getting to know you two, and we want you to know that we are continuing to pray. Tell Doug to hurry up and get his paperwork and reading done. We can't wait to meet Baby Bayles.

    In HIS Care,
    Nick & Julia Stamps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    I have been proud of you all my life, but I think I might be the proudest I have ever been of you at this very moment. I am so excited and thankful to read your words because they tell me so much of your relationship with our Heavenly Father. There is a part of me that so hates this path that has been chosen for you and Doug, but there is another part of me that is so very thankful. I already see so much fruit in both of your lives of how God has used the trials of infertility to bring you closer to Him. We serve an amazing God and I have absolutely no doubts that His plans for your life are so much better than any you could have planned out. I simply CANNOT wait to watch your family grow and multiply. I love that you live close and that I will one day have a little niece or nephew (or both!) to love, spoil, and impact. You have always been one of the biggest blessings of my life and you continue to be.

    Doug, you and Andrea will be wonderful parents!!! If there were ever two people who could be, it is the two of you. From the get go, you have been wonderful with my girls and I know that during this time as you wait for your precious child, God is going to continue to grow both of you. I really believe that a big part of parenting is for our own santification. Thank you for loving my sister well and making her happy. She lights up when she talks about you and that in turn brings her sister much joy too!

    Just so excited for the both of you and know that Ken, the girls, and I will always be here with our complete support. Also very excited that you decided to do the blog - what a great gift to one day give your child.

    Love you both dearly and praying for you on this journey,

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug and Andrea,

    You guys will make such great parents! I was very happy for you when I read this and I am excited to meet the new addition to your family when he/she arrives! Keep your faith in God and He will help you through anything you may encounter in this journey. I will keep you all in my prayers.

    Love,

    Travis




    Dear Baby Bayles,

    What's up little cuz? You are obviously not a baby by the time you read this, since you are reading... but I have not had the pleasure of meeting you yet, at the time I am writing this.
    Probably the best thing i can do for you is give you some advice and some guidelines to consider, so here are 5 things I learned from experience, or that I wish someone had told me about...

    1st (obviously) - If they still make a toy called Sit-N-Spin, get one! Years of fun!

    2nd - The walls in your house really ARE made for drawing on... go crazy! Your parents will love what masterpieces you come up with!

    3rd - Wile E. Coyote never catches RoadRunner.. sorry if I ruined that for you.

    4th - When you get old enough to go to the movie theater with friends, sneak your own candy in. It's WAY overpriced if you buy it there.

    5th - When you are old enough to drive, you should know this: a gallon of gasoline for our vehicles right now is $3.64. Last week it was $2.80... good luck!

    On a serious note, your parents love you very much and have put very much love and hard work into making your journey to them a reality. God has watched over you and brought you safely to them. Before even having met you, I know that you are a very special part of the family and you are surrounded by love and support for anything that you may ever need. I personally can't wait for your arrival so I can begin hearing about the amazing child that God has brought to your parents. I know they will both be very proud of you and thankful to have you in their lives. Always keep God first in your life, and He will help you whenever you need Him.

    Love, your cousin,

    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following along! you two will be marvelous parents! The child you bring home will be truly blessed!!

    ReplyDelete